"Vinca" Institute of Nuclear Sciences was established by the Yugoslav Government (Federal Republic of Yugoslavia) on January the 10th 1948, under the name - The Institute of Physics. Professor Pavle Savic has been tasked to raise the Institute, and he was also elected as its first director. Preliminary program and policy creators of the Institute were Pavle Savic and Robert Valen, and a group of their closest associates, who led the project and set up a basic scientific field of "Vinca".
Employees have been spending their entire working life at the Institute. Switching to colleges and business organizations, some of them passed on the experience gained in the "Vinca", and thereby contributed to the establishment of cooperation between the "Vinca" and other scientific and economic institutions. They have opened many research fields, discovering new perspectives, both for the development of the Institute and for the general development of science in our country.
In1955 Ivan Draganic formed The Department of Radiation Chemistry and prepared a source of gamma radiation, designed with the assistance of colleagues in the nuclear centre at Harwell (England). Source, whose activity was 60 Ci, served as a radiation unit for years, and later was upgraded to 250 Ci. During the reorganization of the Institute in 1958, The Department of Radiation Chemistry became The Department for Dosimetry. The preparations for work with the nuclear reactor were carried out, and dispositives were being prepared for radiation, also as devices for gas analysis, and calorimeters for dosimetric measurements. At the same time construction of Radiation Facility with the cobalt source was finished.
In 1960 Laboratory for Chemistry was re-formed in the Department of Radiation Chemistry. In the sixties the researchers have been working with modern equipment for physical-chemical analysis, and the various sources of radiation. In 1961 the first services of irradiation for external users were carried out. These users were interested in sterilization of disposable surgical equipment, preservation of spices and beneficial mutations in biological systems. Also, the Laboratory for Solid State Physics was established at the Institute in 1946. It was founded by the members of the group for characterization of materials with neutrons and the group for development of detection methods for nuclear radiation. These groups were part of the Laboratory of Physics and groups for X-ray analysis. In 1976 The Laboratory of Solid State Physic and The Department for Radiation Chemistry merged into a single Laboratory of Solid State Physics and Radiation Chemistry.
From the newly-established Laboratory, where the successful long-term cooperation between chemists and physicists has been released from the Institute's multidisciplinary research, organizational change, unification of the human resources and accumulated knowledge in basic research, especially in the areas of interaction of nuclear radiation with matter, in 1990 was created the Laboratory for Radiation Chemistry and Physics.
Professional development and improvement of researchers for decades spread thematic fund, which led to the creation of new research disciplines of the Laboratory: the radiolysis of water and chemical evolution, radiation biochemistry, photochemistry, radiation chemistry of polymers, dosimetry, radiation exploitation, and so on. Many years of work in these areas has enabled a wide international cooperation with a lot of international institutions and major International Atomic Energy Agency in Vienna.
Founders of The "Gamma " Laboratory are: Ivan and Zorica Draganic, Vitomir Markovic, Olga Gal, Olga Micic and Mihajlo Simic, scientists whose names are well known in the research field of radiation chemistry and physics.
Dr. Ivan Draganić